Saturday, April 7, 2018

Dementia is not a Normal Part of Aging

Dementia is not part of the normal aging process. Except that the main factor and predictor of dementia is age. Seeing my physician when I complain that I cannot walk/run/climb steps (choose your specific complaint here) the physician always says well “…its your age.”
And then with dementia, all of a sudden it becomes a disease. No one told me that my bad knee is due to a disease, they just put it down to age. But dementia, all of a sudden is not part of the normal aging process and yet age is the main contributory factor to dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
As a scientist, I am perplexed.
How can one of the most prolific and frightening of disease not be due to old age and not part of the“normal aging process," when the main predictor is age?
Source: awareness_for_epilepsy/flickercreativecommons
Mission control: We are shutting down.
Brain: Shit.
Mission Control: We will start slow.
Brain: Do you have to?
Yes.
Why?
Because it is time.
Time for what?
Time for other people to have a chance, it is our strategy to replace old generations with new ones
Perhaps a little bit longer
How long?
….
Ok
Shutting down
First we will close down recent memories
Make it easier to detach
I am worried, will it change me?
Yes. You are dying. You will no longer be.
Did you watch the Monty Python skit with the parrot?
….yes

Ok
Shutting down
Recent memory being erased
Any pain
No…but I am worried
Why? We are shutting down, there is no pain
I miss who I was
Who “were” you?
I don’t remember
You see, trust me, I know what I am doing, I am nature
Erasing further histories
More memories erased
Oh No…please stop
Stop What?
I do not know…but my wife/husband/daughter/son/lover/helper is worried…they keep asking me to return to who I was before
That is not possible
We are shutting down
Are you in Pain?
No
Ok
Shutting down
Please stop it is hurting THEM
Hurting whom?
Those that love me
Well, did you tell them that you are shutting down
No
Why not?
I did not want to hurt them
And they are hurting now because you did not tell them?
…yes
But it is reality, it is the truth and it is ordained by Nature
I know
So you didn’t tell them
No
They want me to be healthy
And alive?
Yes
Is that even possible
No
So why did they expect it with you?
Because…
OK
Shutting down
Removing social constraints
Wait wait
…yes…
How do I deal with my family?
That is your domain…I deal with the timeline
Yes but can you help me?
Sure…ask them....how many people have escaped death? Does everyone expect you to die? How do they want you to die?
Hello?....
OK
Shutting down
___________

Note: A third of people with dementia regain their subjective quality of life, especially after settling into a nursing home. Main predictor of lowered quality of life is depression which is exacerbated by what Tom Kitwood calls  "malignant social psychology” where a caregiver’s relationship negatively affects the care-recipient. It is telling that  caregivers negatively evaluate the person with dementia's quality of life.

Some comparisons:
http://take-your-vitamins.blogspot.com/2012/04/dementia-gender-assocation.html
British Cancer Society Data:





 © USA Copyrighted 2018 Mario D. Garrett
References
Bosboom, P. R., Alfonso, H., & Almeida, O. P. (2013). Determining the predictors of change in quality of life self-ratings and carer-ratings for community-dwelling people with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders, 27(4), 363-371

No comments:

Post a Comment